The stator design determines the rated speed of the motor and most of the full load, full speed characteristics.
Slip Ring Motors
- ODP – An open drip proof motor is the most common one used in industrial settings. This motor doesn't have a fan and has openings which can be penetrated by dirt and water, so it is ideal for indoor use.
- TEFC – A totally enclosed fan cooled motor has a fan mounted to blow air across the motor frame. Because the fan is sealed, no external elements can get in. TEFC fans are often used with conveyors.
- TENV – A totally enclosed non-ventilated motor is also used in materials handling applications where another source of ventilation to cool the motor is available
- TEBC – A totally enclosed blower-cooled motor includes a fan that is controlled apart from the motor. These are typical in applications calling for larger horsepower, like a crane and hoist, or in variable speed applications where the motor may operate near zero revolutions per minute.
- EPFC – An explosion proof fan cooled motor is used in environments where combustible elements like gasoline, oil, ammonia, coal or combustible dust are present